Tuesday 8 November 2011

Renaissance - a New Beginning

Now happily settled into retirement and our new life in Walsham le Willows, Suffolk, I was persuaded to start painting again, after a gap of over 30 years, having concentrated on our photographic business during that period of time.  As a prompt our elder daughter and son-in-law queued to get Ian Botham to sign a copy of his latest book "Botham's Book of the Ashes" and, because I had painted him twice in the 1970's, when I was painting sporting personalities in action, he asked our daughter how I was and if I was still painting, to which she said, "We are trying to get him started again."  So,  Sir Ian wrote in the book, "To Roger Long time no paint!  Ian".  That was sufficient to motivate me.

I decided to paint Suffolk landscapes in a much freer style than I had used previously.  The beautiful Suffolk countryside and seascapes are a true inspiration;  the huge skies are magnificent and the light is amazing.  As I used to say, when I was lecturing in photography, "Photographers paint with light;  artists paint with colour."

I eased back into painting with landscapes, which was like a breath of fresh air but, as always, clients want different things and I have recently completed two portrait commissions and have two commissions - one a seascape measuring 54" x 24" and the other a favourite location for a Christmas gift.

After a few months, we quickly ran out of wall space and decided to launch the new art website http://www.rogerharveyart.co.uk/.  Have a look.  Our friend and neighbour, Andrew Clark, has made a wonderful job of creating the site and we are receiving lovely comments.  We are now enjoying watching this art site climb up the ratings.

No comments:

Post a Comment